Director of Washington Univ. Crow Observatory
(for about 35(?) years)
The Washington University Observatory atop Crow Hall has a long history, especially for the telescope itself.
The Observatory has originally been elsewhere on the Danforth (Hilltop) campus but a new dome was constructed in 1954 atop the Physics Department's Crow Hall home. Gerard Kuiper (as in the Kuiper Belt) spoke at the dedication. (Of course, this was two years before Michael arrived at WU.)
By at least the 1960s, the Observatory was not a tool for research, but instead was staffed by volunteers (knowledgeable undergrad and graduate students), under Michael's direction. Open every clear weeknight, it offered a chance for city dwellers (groups, individuals, etc) to see the stars!
Numerous feature articles appeared in Washington U publications and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch over the years.
- The "Big Eye" Stares at the Stars
11 Mar 1973 St. Louis Post-Dispatch "Pictures" Sunday magazine. (Michael quoted)
- WU Observatory Open Weekdays to Campus Community
21 Nov 1974 Wash U Record (staff weekly publication). Article has a few paragraphs about its history, too. (Michael mentioned)
- No Plans for Retirement
Winter 1985 Wash U Magazine. A more complete history and current feature. (Michael quoted)
- Star-Struck: St. Louis Skies Launched Novice Astronomer
31 Dec 1985 St. Louis Post-Dispatch. (Michael is briefly mentioned in this origin story of someone at the U.S. Naval Observatory (Washington, D.C.) and how he allowed this native St. Louisan to use the observatory as a high school student.)
- Planetary Influence: WU's 137-Year-Old Telescope Give a Great View
29 Nov 1996 St. Louis Post-Dispatch. (Michael quoted briefly at the end.)
A current link for the Crow Observatory can be found on the physics department web site facilities page. Stop by some evening for a look!