28 June 2022
While researching for this site, I (David) ran across a number of bibliographic entries for videos (mostly VHS, some DVD) of lectures and colloquia that Michael had given at Wash U over the years. These were all being held by the Washington University Archives. I sent an inquiry this spring to Sonya Rooney, the WU Archivist, whom I had already met a few times because many of Michael's papers were donated to the archives, starting in 2018. She graciously agreed to have these digitized, and I just got the results from her a week ago.
Thus on the Multimedia page, I have added four videos, ranging in time from 1994 to 2004:
- 2004-Oct Saturday Science: Special Relativity
- 2002-Apr Panel discussion about "Copenhagen" play
- 2002-Mar Saturday Science: The Atomic Bomb Projects
- 1994-May In the Matter of J. Robert Oppenheimer
My thanks and credit to Sonya Rooney and her colleagues at the Washington University Archives.
23 May 2022
Having visited home in St. Louis in mid-May, I (David) looked for a variety of documents, finding most of them, and also ran across a series of other documents I was not expecting.
These have now been incorporated into the site.
Most unusual addition (Credit: Walt Schalick) [This is unrelated to the trip to St. Louis] :
In several cases, I had images of the first page of an article but had been unable to track down the full text online. In my father's files I found paper copies of the complete article for each of the following:
- Predictions of Fallout from Project Chariot (1961)
- Nuclear Digging (1964)
- Nuclear Gasbuggy (1968)
- How Many Children? (1969)
AAUP Bulletin: Report on Corcordia Seminary (1975)
- Academe: Report on UVa (2001)
New photos to illustrate existing pages:
- Wash U Physics page: two photos: Michael at the blackboard and (if one clicks on Library Services Committee) one of Michael seated in the Physics Library. Both of these are scanned from WU brochures, circa 1978-81.
- archaeoastronomy page: Stonehenge with Rachel and David for human scale/interest ; also 1977 fall equinox photo
- Music Dept honorary lifetime chairman award (detail of plaque)
- Founders Day faculty winners together
- cardboard star for Astronomy textbook
- AAUP page
- 2009 letter to editor about tenure
- AAUP reports on academic freedom at Concordia Seminary and the University of Virginia (linked above).
- Articles page
- Is This Trip Necessary? Winter 1970 Wash U Magazine.
- Discovery with no Statistics Required (2010)
- "Science Fact or Fiction" page from May 1989 was also published three other places (e.g., Salt Lake Tribune; Palm Beach Post), and those results are now included here.
- Four complete articles listed above now referenced here.
- Book Reviews by Michael
Quarterly Review of Biology (2003) that I had not previously run across.
- CNI & the Baby Tooth Survey
- Link to article from The Appendix
- Education and Universities page
- Hobbies and interests page
Came across shooting trophy and photographed it. This allowed inclusion of inscription and corrected date (1945). Trophy cup is highly reflective and inscription wraps around, so not including actual image for now.
- Obituaries page
- Arthur Hughes (1978)
- Public talks and lectures
"Social Reponsibility of Scientists (2013)
- Courses for non-physics majors
Added three more courses 1983 to 1999), titles only for now